Sunday, November 2, 2008

today was a beautiful day weather wise here in IL. I am really not looking forward to the cold winter storms or the icy roads. sorry yall, but MO winters are not as harsh. I thought I would share with you these pictures I took maybe three weeks ago. like I said in my earlier post, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Time to be with family/friends and be thankful for all the blessings that we receive every day. Time to reflect and make changes that are necessary to help us grow. I try to be a good person, try to hold the door for a stranger or give someone a smile as they are passing by.

Growing up in the south side of Chicago was not an easy thing to do. Well at least now that I think of it I was fearless when I was younger. My mother always moved us around to the safer areas of the south side. I remember when she finally took the plunge and moved us all the way to 80th and Kilbourn....

It was a drastic change for us. We were the only Hispanics in that area. It was very upsetting back then. We were out of the hood. We lived on a block where we were surrounded by elderly people. I remember my first racial experience. I had never dealt with that before. Its funny how sometimes you forget about stuff, but I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN THAT EXPERIENCE. Actually the gentlemen that said something to me still lives in the same house on the corner. I left, but he is still there. I wonder if I went up to him to remind him of what he said would he ever remember.

It's kind of funny.... that neighborhood is surrounded by Hispanics and other nationalities now. He has neighbors right next door that are Hispanic and that love to blast their music in their garage. I wonder what he thinks now? How he feels now?

I don't know why I am sharing this with you. Maybe so that you can see that I am human and have had different life experiences that have made me who I am today. Life is short. I find myself telling this to a lot of people. We need to enjoy it as much as we can because we only have today. I know times are difficult right now. I should know because it's affecting my family. BUT I can't sit here in this apartment and waste my time crying over something I can not change. I have to make the best of what I have NOW. So that is why I count my blessings every day.

Yes we were not happy with my mother's decision of moving us out of the south side, but now if I think of it who cares. She was doing it to better our lives because she loved us. So again a blessing in disguise because that experience helped us grow. I think she did a great job bringing us up to be somewhat normal people that play by the rules.

So hopefully my mom will be back with us for this Thanksgiving. Hopefully, we will be celebrating together along with my dad, brothers and the rest of the familia and anyone that will want to join us as my mother's house is always open to anyone.

I will be counting my blessings, today, tomorrow and always. I hope you will be joining me in doing that as well.

Peace!

Just ME!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

That was a great post! I love reading about other people's lives. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you this week and always, Theresa