Wednesday, November 12, 2008

thrift store finds


the other day I took a drive to the thrift store in Aurora which I previously wrote about. I would say that it is okay. You know these kind of stores are a hit or miss. I did not come away with toooo many treasures, but the prices were great. I found this star picture holder which I plan to use during the holidays. I believe I payed $1.20 for it. The spools of linen were $1.20 for both. The plates below were a whole stack for $3.80. Okay now can someone out there share a way that I can clean these silver plated/brass dishes. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but how did they use these before? Did they serve food on them or serve food on another plate and then added the plate on top of these?????

Can anyone let me know please.

I also found a leather FOSSIL purse for $3.84 and I swear it looks like no one ever used it.

I am totally addicted. In MO I never really had the opportunity to visit thrift stores, but in Chicago you can find them every where and if you like going and digging and don't mind the sneezing I would say go try it.

I would even come along. Take me with you.

I promise this does become addicting because the workers keep bringing stuff out constantly. It makes you want to stick around to see what else they have stashed back there in the working room.

P.S. I did find a job and I start in January. I have always worked with State Farm and I going to start with them again. What can I say I am a SF girl for life.

Peace to you,

Just ME

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Patti said...

Hi! Cool stuff again!!! I never find stuff like that when I go. I think the brass/silver plates are kind of charger plates to use with plates on top of them that were eaten off of. they were more for decoration. I don't know- just guessing...Have a great day!

lindaharre said...

I agree......they look like charger plates:D Wonderful finds as always! You are one busy little girl:D hugs, Linda

beth said...

you find the best stuff !!!
....and congrats on the job !!!

we are state farmers ourselves and have been for years....they know me by name whenever I call or walk in the front door of their office....I LOVE THAT !!!

Teresa said...

Nice finds! The chargers (as other commenters have noted) are used below your dinner plates. I found a 'beyond polishing' silverplated tray--just a little bigger than the chargers--and I taped off the rims and sprayed it with chalkboard paint. Now I have a handy little chalkboard. To clean them, I'd probably try a paste of baking soda.

Relyn Lawson said...

Most excellent finds! I want to go thrifting with you. I am pretty sure that Patti is right and those are chargers. So, they are decorative plates to go under the regular plates. Of course, they would be wonderful polished, but I like them battered and worn, too. Could be very cool.